combi boiler installation costs
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
psychrai
Apprentice
Apprentice

combi boiler installation costs

by psychrai » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi
Would appreciate some advise on the cost of installing a central heating system( potterton combi boiler, 4 large radiators and a towel radiator in the bathroom) in addition to clearing up existing heating syste which is potterton warm air firer and boiler.

Kindly help
Thanks

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:32 am

How long is a piece of string?

There is no definitive answer to this without a visit.

Get at least three people in to see what you want doing first hand and give you a quote. Then you'll know.

Cheers

psychrai
Apprentice
Apprentice

by psychrai » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:35 am

Thank you.

I got a quote for £5750 from British gas. A local company gave me a quote for £4055. Can there be such a difference?

I understand variables are plenty with a radiator being less here and there, but a difference of £1700 seems enromous. Woud it be accounted for the type of boiler being isntalled.

British gas gave the offer with a valiant ecotec while the local company suggested a potterton . Nevertheless a system is between 700-800£.

Hence the posting seeking advice.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Ahh so I answered the wrong question. BG will inevitably be more expensive than an independent possibly by a factor of 2.

On that basis your local company's quote may also be high but without detailed knowledge of the project its impossible to tell. Are the two quotatiosn like for like (apart from boiler type)?

BG will offer this month whichever boiler they get the best deal on from the manufacturer. That could change next month. Sorry to appear cynical.

I think you'll find that the pottis don't have a particularly good reputation amongst many RGIs anyway.

If I were you I'd be getting two more independents in to give you a quote. Then you'll have a good baseline from which to make a judgement.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Both abit expensive - didn't expect anything less of BG.

Get a few more quotes.

htg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1