combi-condensing gas boiler with reserve tank - is there one
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jdenergy
Labourer
Labourer

combi-condensing gas boiler with reserve tank - is there one

by jdenergy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi, My old Baxi combi looks like its on it's last legs (11 years not too bad I suppose!) but I'm now having big problems finding a replacement that I'll be happy with. I've spoken to the energy savings trust who given me a ream of A rated combi-condensing boilers but they're listed alphabetically so I can't decipher which one to go for, for price, efficiency, longevity, etc. I've read there are some combis now that have a small reserve hot water tank to reduce the annoying waste of water and time lag whilst waiting for the hot water to 'appear' but again not convinced these are the best option as they'll need to keep heating it.

Any help would be appreciated - I'd like to know what boiler would offer the best solution for a victorian 4-storey house, so it'll need to be able to provide alot of BTUs - so i've been told! I'll probably get a wireless thermostat to help make the heating more efficient and all rads have TRVs.
Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:05 am

Check out the Vaillant range of boilers particularly the ecoTEC plus 937 power store. It has an integral tank.

Not the cheapest probably, but my personal favourite manufacturer.

jdenergy
Labourer
Labourer

by jdenergy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:28 pm

thanks for the reply - the Vaillant 937 does look a good efficient boiler but does the hot water storage heat continually or is there a timer that could be used.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:35 pm

The water is heated continuously. If it were timed, you could get up in the middle of the night say and have no hot water.

If this heat loss is a serious issue to you, and I don't think you need let it be, then go for a big standard combi. The instant heat output of the modern boiler is terrific, and will most likely suit your needs anyway and there really isn't too much delay in the flow.

It is more important from a flow point of view to site the boiler in the best position to avoid long pipe runs so the hot water reaches the taps quickly.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1