Combi for 3+ bathrooms.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Combi for 3+ bathrooms.

Post by collectors » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Planning to fit a combi boiler in a house with 4 bed 3 bath kitchen & utility room, but with only myself living there.
Now! The combi will be fine for just me & more economical than heating a large tank for my daily shower, but this wont be good enough for a large family.
Question is? If i wanted to add a megaflow tank later on, is it just a case of treating it as another zone on the central heating system with an extra motorised valve timer & Cylinder stat. If so! This will save me the running costs of heating a large tank & the price of a megaflow at this stage of the job.
There will be room next to the boiler for the megaflow at a later stage.

Thanks

Chris.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Combi for 3+ bathrooms.

Post by rosebery » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:42 pm

"Planning to fit a combi boiler in a house with 4 bed 3 bath kitchen & utility room, but with only myself living there."

Whilst you could do that you need to consider the CH requirement as well and no combi can match an unvented and system boiler for performnce irrespective of how many people live in the house.

"Now! The combi will be fine for just me & more economical than heating a large tank for my daily shower,..........."

But you wouldn't ne heating the whole tank every day just for one shower. Once it is heated the shower will only draw off enough water for the length of time you spend in the shower. So the amount of energy you use daily will be approximately the same surely?

"........but this wont be good enough for a large family."

Agree.

"Question is? If i wanted to add a megaflow tank later on, is it just a case of treating it as another zone on the central heating system with an extra motorised valve timer & Cylinder stat. If so! This will save me the running costs of heating a large tank & the price of a megaflow at this stage of the job."

I don't see the point TBH. See above for energy considerations.

"There will be room next to the boiler for the megaflow at a later stage."

I'd fit a system boiler and your unvented now. You could always make one of you showers an electric shower which you could use daily and not draw water off the unvented.

Cheers

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:44 am

[quote]I'd fit a system boiler and your unvented now. You could always make one of you showers an electric shower which you could use daily and not draw water off the unvented.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! I think you are right system/un-vented route, but will have to find a way around the electric shower as i am in the south east, & without a water softener (Another expense) the electric showers are not much good as they tend to fur up in 6 months with the hard water in this area. (Do like my pinned against the wall shower) LOL.

Cheers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1