Compatible gas for use with back boiler
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
den9112
Labourer
Labourer

Compatible gas for use with back boiler

by den9112 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi, could someone please help me with a problem we have trying to find out what gas fire we can use that will be compatible with our back boiler . The back boiler was seviced last year and we recall the engineer mentioning that we can use a certain sort but we have misplaced the info . I cannot find any info on the make of the backboiler , we know the name of the fire it is a cavalcade gls , the thermostat says honywell and the heating settings as randall 102 (timer) . we will be having it fitted with a corgi registered fitter . we just need to know what fire we can purchase . Thanks in advance .

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:34 pm

Some back boilers, are only compatible with one gas fire. If you're lucky maybe 2 or 3. This being the reason people upgrade to a combi boiler, and a gas fire. As there's alot more choice.

You need the boiler make and model to find out what fires are compatible.

As for the thermostat and timer, these could be fitted to any boiler. They are pretty universal. Not used for just one make or model.

If you let me know the make and model of the boiler, I'll try to advise what fires can be used. Alternatively get the CORGI registered installer out, they will find the make and model and get the fire for you.

Is there a fire fitted to the boiler now ?

* It is dangerous and against the law - to use a back boiler without the fire fitted to it.

den9112
Labourer
Labourer

by den9112 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks for the reply , yes there is a fire fitted to the back boiler at the moment . Looking from underneath the fire i can see the boiler but nothing with a makers name on it . We are thinking of purchasing a combi boiler and we know we have to have it fitted to our kitchen wall what we would like to also know is can we keep our exsisting radiators (set up) and if we had a combi fitted does the back boiler have to come or can we just have it shut off were we can just replace the fire with a new one . Sorry if this seems cofusing we are just trying to find the cheapest option . we have also seen literally hundreds of combi boilers and are not sure what specs we are looking for . It is a 3 bed semi with a electric shower . Any advice would be really apreciated . we are also looking at a corgi registered fitter to do the work . Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:01 am

You can normally choose from a couple of places to fit a combi boiler, they don't have to go in the kitchen - unless that's what you want.

You can leave existing pipework and radiators in, but if they're old or in poor condition changing to a pressurised system you may get leaks.

You can also leave the back boiler in, but again only the fires that are meant to fit the boiler will work. There's nothting stopping you boarding over the old boiler, so it's a flat wall - if you don't use the fire much.

den9112
Labourer
Labourer

by den9112 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks for your help .

gremlin_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gremlin_1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:49 pm

[quote] [u][b]You can also leave the back boiler in[/b][/u], but again only the fires that are meant to fit the boiler will work. There's nothting stopping you boarding over the old boiler, so it's a flat wall - if you don't use the fire much.

When called to install new gas fires the most enoying thing we come across are redundant back boilers left in situe. (some are still connected to the heating system?)

Apart from the pure lazyness of some installers.,I can not see the point of
charging customers for an upgraded heating system and hidding the fact that the old boiler is still hidden in the builders opening.

I know some one is going to mention that the fire front will need to be connected to the boilers flue system, but the majority of times the customer hates the old fasion fronts, and have had them removed and the builders opening seal up.

Several times we have been called to gas leaks only to find that the old back boiler gas valve was left live and leaking. The valve was kept live inorder that the gas fire could still be used.

One manufacturer we spoke to insisted that we were not permitted to run the fire if the boiler was not left in working order eg live water and gas

One of the worst culprit for the above in one of the major national companies, closely followed by lazzzzzy cowboys

So why leave old boilers in situe it baffles and irritates me :evil:

[/quote]

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:39 am