Computer Battery not Charging on Sony Vaio Laptop
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Computer Battery not Charging on Sony Vaio Laptop

by ericmark » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:20 pm

I have a Sony VGN-AW11XU_Q VAIO laptop computer, I inherited it from my dad, and the battery would never last more than a couple on minutes, I was on my third power supply which was getting hot, so I tried removing the battery, the power supply ran a lot cooler so I ordered and fitted new battery.

However within a week or so the raid hard drives failed, and my son took it for repair, it took him some months, and after the repair Windows 7 was loaded instead of the original Vista, the battery was completely flat, plugging in it did not seem to charge at first, but then it started, it got to around 78% then has slowly been getting more and more discharged, now down to 9% it is near always used on mains supply so really the battery is not that important, but it niggles me that it will not recharge.

I have tried swapping the battery power plans, to no avail; I’ve also tried to find Sony drivers again no change. I have read some reports on the web about problems with Windows 7, problems with battery software inside the battery, and with wrong drivers, my problem is so many things have changed working out which is causing the problem. I am loathed to buy a new battery when it may be windows 7 at fault.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Computer Battery not Charging on Sony Vaio Laptop

by ericmark » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:47 pm

I unplugged the laptop for around a minute, there was a warning to plug in or shut it down, so plugged back in again.

I am sure the charge icon started to animate with the green infill raising and then dropping again, although now I am not so sure. It did however move from 9% to 10% but has not moved from 10%.

Does the icon normally animate when charging in Windows 7?

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Computer Battery not Charging on Sony Vaio Laptop

by greengrass » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Could be the battery if it was a cheap one but I would take the whole kit to a trusted shop get them to test the charging circuit. As for drivers that's the problem with older unit they pull the plug on them, my thoughts to push you in to buying a new model.
Try then for drivers help.
https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-AW11XU

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:08 am