Concrete Base for Summer House - Some Advice Required
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diywoman
Labourer
Labourer

Concrete Base for Summer House - Some Advice Required

by diywoman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Hiya,

I am new on here so be nice!
I am building a concrete base for a summer house. I don't want/can't afford the expense of having ready mixed concrete delivered plus would need to hire a pump as its down the other end of the garden! So my question is, how do I work out how many bags of sand and cement I need?

Measurements are 4.5m x 4.5m. Going for 3 inch deep hardcore and 3 inch deep of concrete. I thought it was a 1:5 ratio? I was ready about a C20 mix, would this be better??

this is my first job in a garden, more at home doing interiors! So any help is appreciated.

Thanks
DIYWoman

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Concrete Base for Summer House - Some Advice Required

by welsh brickie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:48 pm

you will need 2 ton bags of concrete mix and 10 cement, that's at 100mm thick. also lay a sheet of reinforcing mesh in the concrete
Its best to buy some 100mm x 25 timber and shutter the area to the size you want, level the timber and fix it to 50 x 25mm stakes nailed in the ground.
There are hire mix companies that will mix and barrow the concrete to where you want so will save you mixing it yourself, but you will need to lay it

diywoman
Labourer
Labourer

by diywoman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Great thank you. So that is for every 100mm depth of concrete?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:49 am

100mm thick concrete is the minimum you will need, also its best if the hardcore is compacted with a machine

philipam
Apprentice
Apprentice

by philipam » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Just wondering if you have done this yet, if so did you get more than half way across the base with just two tonnes of concrete mix???

At the very lest you would need four tonne of ballets to cover an area of this size at 100mm depth.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:22 am