Concrete floor and damp and bumps
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
keepclimbing
Labourer
Labourer

Concrete floor and damp and bumps

by keepclimbing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi

I have a damp problem in my home and would really appreciate any advice anyone can give, as its becoming a pretty significant source of stress as a first-time homeowner!

Since purchasing the house, I have noticed damp along both party walls (which wasn't picked up in the survey). I have since had a damp survey carried out which suggested there was bridging from the solid floor and recommended a dpc and replastering. I've got a tradesman ready to carry out this work after the party wall notices have been sorted out.

However, I have also now noticed bumping (a few bumps, approx 20cm in diameter) in the concrete floor near the damp areas. This has only become present in the last couple of months. I understand that this could potentially be caused by a sulphate attack/ a lack of damp proofing in the floor.

Money is quite tight (especially with the other planned damp proofing works) and I don't really know what the best options are for investigating/fixing the problem without getting spending huge amounts. I'm keen not to have to spend thousands on surveys and cannot really afford 10-15k to dig up the floor and get a new slab put in.

My basic plan is to first get the floor tested for sulphates and then see what work is recommended but I'm also wondering if there are other surveys I should be conducting first (e.g. leak detection).

I know it's hard for anyone to advise without seeing it first hand but does it sound like a sensible plan to get the floor tested first, or would you advise getting someone to look into whether there is a leak first?

Also, is there anything that can be done short of digging up the floor and relaying the slab? I've heard about paint on damp proofing but I don't know how effective this is.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who's able to help!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Concrete floor and damp and bumps

by stoneyboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi keepclimbing
Your damp survey should have identified whether there is a DPM present in your floor.
If there is not you should address this issue first - if the damp bridging from the floor is eliminated your walls may no longer be damp.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:58 am