DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Concrete Formers.

Postby gonzosaxman » Sun May 20, 2007 9:24 pm


I'm planning to build a deck on sloping ground, and want to create concrete foundations which raise up above ground level. In order to do this, I think I need something called a former - a thick cardboard (or something) tube or box which I set into the ground and pour my concrete into. The cardboard (or something) has to be thick and dense enough, not to go soggy I presume???

Can anyone help me source these formers? I have looked in most of the local DIY shops and have drawn a blank! I think what I need is a tube or box former of around 8 inches in diameter.


Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:16 pm


Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Wed May 23, 2007 6:37 am

You need a builders merchants not a diy shop Gonzo. Plywood is the minimum thickness and strength you need but for this type it would be a great idea to use a large drain pipe secion which you could place thye concrete in the centre of.
Posts: 2531
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics