Concrete Like Substance for Raising Fireplace Hearth Stone
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
danib
Labourer
Labourer

Concrete Like Substance for Raising Fireplace Hearth Stone

Post by danib » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi
I am looking for something which is like concrete but lighter.
On some American websites - STUCCO was suggested - what would this in the UK and where can I get it.
I need it to create a slightly raised hearth stone - I have put in a feature fireplace (non working) but want a raised hearth stone, so that the Carpet can butt up against it. I cant have too much weight in that area though, so need something that is still hard, fluid (to harden). Not needed to be fireproof or anythiing like that, but just needs to resemble concrete in its non crumble form.

Is there anything?

Dani

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Concrete Like Substance for Raising Fireplace Hearth Stone

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 pm

you can use vermiculite

danib
Labourer
Labourer

Post by danib » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:58 am

Hi
Awesome - is it just vermiculite i need to buy - or will i need to mix it with something? Also - I have just done some reading about it - and does it work just as a direct alternative to concrete, or do i have to prepare it specially - i.e. mould the hearth or can I pour it direct onto a mould which is in situ and doi have to heat it - there is something about 'exfoliation'??
Thats generally something I do to my face to take the make up off!!

Thanks in advance

Dani

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:33 am

it must be mixed with cement and sand and water, it forms a lightweight concrete, you can frame the area around the hearth and pour it in, for reinforcing, to prevent cracking you can place expanding metal in the form before adding the mixture

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:25 pm