Concrete Steps and Patio Drop From French Doors
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Samj008
Labourer
Labourer

Concrete Steps and Patio Drop From French Doors

by Samj008 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:12 am

We have recently had some new french doors installed, and we have been told, (and also realise it is necessary) that the first step outside the door needs to be 1.2M. Currently the first step down is quite steep and a bit of a hazard.

The issue I have is how to achieve the 1.2M?

The ideas so far...

Are simply to poor concrete over the existing concrete steps, then create a new set in front. But I recognise this is sub optimal and will result in a join into which water could seep and freeze etc.

Another thought I had was to build a small block wall on the final step and do block and beam type concrete floor (which could be rendered?) and build steps in front of it.

The idea of completely destroying what is there, is probably the most professional, but given the size of the step and the fact it has drainage in it, I am sure it will be costly.

So photo included, I am looking for ideas as to what people would do.

A couple of caveats, I don't want wood decking as in winter it is permanently in shade and will just rot, Also I have a wood deck in front of a larger patio and I like the flow of materials.

Shem KSW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Concrete Steps and Patio Drop From French Doors

by Shem KSW » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Clad with a high plastic content composite decking? lay on upvc around 5mm thick to let the water flow off.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:33 am