Condensation and heating
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuarta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Condensation and heating

by stuarta » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 am

Just moved into my first flat early last year. Last new year we had new windows fitted as the original ones were rotten and were suffering from bad condensation.

The worse room was our 2nd bedroom where part of the window box had got so damp there was a hole. When the new windows were fitted, this was just replaced with plastic facia.

I went in there last night and the room was cold. We don't have any heating in there apart from an electric surrond fire in the living room. The windows were wet and slightly running. I had noticed that the trickle vent was closed which I've now opened. The wall where we suffered before was damp again. The whole room feels damp as well, I'm assuming this is because of the coldness.

My question therefore is what is the best thing we can do? I'm assuming maybe we need heating in there, and if so what should I go for. So far I've seen a 2000w convector heater on Screwfix for £19 and a 2000w oil filled for £45.

I'm not sure which of these would be best and more economical on running costs.

We orginally looked at buying one to put in our main bedroom, but I'm thinking if we need to continually to heat our 2nd bedroom to stop this damp.

I would appreciate some advice on this as I obviously want to solve this as much as possible, without going to costly extremes. Also whether a dehumidifier would help.

Thanks

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi

Have you had a look at the DIY Projects area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm There are quite a few projects related to damp and curing damp that may provide you with the answers you need.

Regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 pm