Condensation destroyed kitchen cabinets - please help!
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sagelique
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation destroyed kitchen cabinets - please help!

Post by sagelique » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi there

I have very stupidly left a pot of soup boiling, closed the kitchen door and when i returned 30mins later, soup was ok but the entire kitchen cabinet doors bottom bit has created 'waves of lumps' due to the condensation source.

This is v visible and hard to hide!!

When i look at it at the bottom, i could see the cover of the cabinet (cabinet not painted but seems to have some form of gloss cover..sorry not v good at diy) is spiltted from its core. just that slightly creating these lumps

Is there anyway i can flatten or remove these lumps at the bottom of my cabinets??

Thanks, i would appreciate any help out there!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:39 pm

sagelique,
You'll probably have to fit a new cupboard carcase - repairs to the damp chipboard are not very successful.
end

bobthebodger
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bobthebodger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 am

Difficult one, but if melamine or veneer faced chipboard as it would appear from your description, personally I would try the following:

1. Remove the affected doors
2. Using a hypodermic syringe, carefully make a small hole in the blisters and inject a little PVA (diluted with water if necessary) under the blisters.
3. Sandwich the affected areas of the door between two flat boards (thick enough so they won't bend under pressure) and then tightly clamp these together with G-clamps to flatten out the blisters
4. Leave for 24 hours for the PVA to fully dry, then remove the clamps

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:52 pm