Condensation Ground Floor, 2 Bed, 1970's Flat
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phil.s
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation Ground Floor, 2 Bed, 1970's Flat

by Phil.s » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Hello Any help appreciated. I have a ground floor, two bedroom, Open Plan Kitchen \ Lounge flat and have always had a real problem with condensation. and then black mould.

I have fitted fans to the bathroom and kitchen which has looked after the Kitchen and lounge however I an still getting condenstaion in the two bedrooms. The one is only being used for storage.

Air vents have been fitted to the double glazed windows, but I am unsure how effetive these are as the blinds are aften closed.

I have also given the tenants an dehumidifier, but the problem still persists. I gues part of the problem is that teh dehumidifier only has a 'bucket' for 1.5 lites of water before it turns its self off. Should the dehumidifier only be used when the windows are closed?

Any suggestions for how to solve this would be gratfully received.

I guess I need some sort of fan \ vent in both the bedrooms. How many will I need do I need two in each room for some kind of air flow?

Is there an air conditioning unit where by the water is vented outside, i am thinking of a neater solution where by the dehumidifier is fixed to an wall and the water is taken outside.

If I do fit a fan to the bedroom they will need to be silent as any nose will disturb sleep, again any other recommendations please.

Thank you for any help. Phil

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:57 pm

Phil.s,
No extractor fan is silent.
Your de-humidifier should have been supplied with an outlet connection so a permanent drain can be fitted.
If the tenants pay for electricity used ie by meter readings, they are unlikely to use the de-humidifier on the grounds of cost. The same goes for the fans in the kitchen and bathroom.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1