COndensation Problem - Should I get air-briocks fitted?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jimmyharris80
Labourer
Labourer

COndensation Problem - Should I get air-briocks fitted?

by jimmyharris80 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi All,

Only just come across this forum, wish I'd found it sooner as we have been battling a condensation problem for the past 6 months!

Initally our tennants reported it back at the start of winter, they were getting mould around the windows and a large amount of damp was showing in the corner of the bedroom and around the window frames in the bedroom and lounge.

We bought them a de-humidifier which has been collecting a huge amount of water and improving the problem. We've asked them to keep it on whenever they can to get the humidity level down.

The issue started after we replaced our single glazed windows with double glazing, effectively sealing up the building where previously there was draft coming through the previous windows. Regrettably we didn't have trickle vents installed on the new windows, however they do lock open about half an inch which provides some air-flow.

What I want to know is whether to install airbricks into the bedroom and lounge to increase the airflow in the flat? We're on the first floor and should easily be able to access the outside via a ladder to have them fitted (or do it ourselves if it's pretty straightforward)

Any opinions welcome.

gnock@aol.com
Labourer
Labourer

Mould in flats

by gnock@aol.com » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm

I sympathise with this as I have had condensation problems with my rental flats. I have found that the cause is a combiantion of 1. structural
( cold north facing walls and no cavity insulation) 2. lifestyle of tenants - ie intermittent heating on for an hour in the morning and at night - and drying washing etc. I deal with this by installing vents at the front of the property, in all internal doors, and in the bathroom and bedrooms. You cannot rely on tenants to open windows - so fit a movement activated extractor in the bathroom. If they have storage rads - get them to switch at least one on in the property. The ambient heat circulates through all the vents and gets the moisture laden air out of the flat.

This mostly occurs in ground floor 1980s and earlier flats.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm