confused as to what system i have installed
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
whitewash
Apprentice
Apprentice

confused as to what system i have installed

Post by whitewash » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:33 pm

hi there, i appologise if theres another post further down the forum that answers my question but here it is...

i have a boiler positioned in a cupboard the only 3 plumbing connections to it are [b]feed in[/b] and [b]feed out[/b] and the [b]gas pipe[/b], and across the room there is another cupboard containing a hot water cylinder and a storage tank, the storage tank attached to the bottom connection of the hot water tank. there is a connection at the top which i presume is the hot water supply pipe whcih splits to a vent (which vents back above the storage tank) and onwards to the hot water supplys (shower, taps etc). there are two other connections on the boiler which i presume connected to the radiator system and the boiler.

there is nothing else connected to the system such as another expansion tank etc for the heating system, nor are there any of the pressure guages etc you'd expect with a sealed system

what sort of system do i have? is it a Primatic direct system?

secondly i need to replace a radiator valve and remove a radiator, what is the draining down proceedure for my heating system and any pitfalls etc with refilling

many many thanks in advance

jamie

whitewash
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by whitewash » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:24 pm

sorry to bump!

also would it be expensive to convert this setup to a more efficient indirect system?

GeckoGas
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by GeckoGas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:39 am

This would sound like a primatic cylinder... The easiest way to find out is get up in the loftspace and count the header tanks...

- If you have one large one; then you have primatic.
- If you have one large and one small; you have an indirect.
- If you have some other setup; please describe it.

Although saying that; you could still have a sealed central heating system too and someone has "hidden" the filling loop when they installed it.

So moving onto your next question - If it's a primatic; turn the tank off in the loft - DO NOT "BUNG" IT (If you don't know what that means; it's these kits that have two plugs in to isolate the system).... You need to turn it off at the ball valve.

Then; open your lowest drain cock and sit back - Have 90 cups of coffee because you'll be in for a long wait whilst it drains.

When filling; do as you would normally expect - But do NOT use any form of inhibitor to treat the system with.

As for the bumpy; no.... It will not be majorly expensive to convert to an indirect system; depending on the cylinder and tank positions available.

whitewash
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by whitewash » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:54 pm

thanks gecko.

the loft does not have a tank at all, the only tank fitted to the system is a tank of probably 10 gallons positioned about a 75cm above the cylinder. which makes me think its a direct system as there is no other storage tank in the system.

will 90 cups of tea substitute for the coffee? :)

i might look into getting it converted to reduce heating costs (better add that to the list of jobs!)

thanks

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1