Confused Over Planning Refusal Decision
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
symbiosis
Labourer
Labourer

Confused Over Planning Refusal Decision

by symbiosis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi all
I obtained a certificate of lawfulness about a year ago to convert my loft including a hip to gable conversion at the rear - which was granted.

I realised that I needed a bit of extra room (and having seen a rear and front hip to gable conversion on an exact same property as mine just over 300 ft away from my house on the same estate) I decided that a front hip to gable could provide the extra space.

I consulted my LPA and they told me that this would NOT be considered as permitted development and that I would have to make a full application. I asked them what the likely outcome would be and they told me that it was very likely to be approved. So I made the full application.

I consulted my neighbours at the front of my property and they all told me they had no objections and that they would far prefer a hip to gable on the front rather than a dormer on the side.

My local town planning committee unanimously approved my application with no objections.

With nearly 7 weeks having passed without a decision I rang my LPA and was told that a draft decision had been made that recommended approval and that it was just awaiting sign off (I have this conversation recorded). I was therefore staggered to get an email today stating it had been refused!! The reason given: "The front hip to gable extension would encroach into the open space to the front of the dwelling and would be incongruous within the streetscene and have an adverse effect upon the character of the area. The application is therefore considered to be contrary to Policy"

Bearing in mind all that I was told and the fact that another house on the estate only 300 ft away from mine has an identical conversion do you think I should appeal?

Thanks

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Confused Over Planning Refusal Decision

by collectors » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:00 pm

I would go to the council web site & look up the planning permission of your neighbor's extension to make sure its all legal & if so pop in & ask him if they had any problems. Then go from there. But it is common to get refused to have changes on the front of the house.

symbiosis
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Confused Over Planning Refusal Decision

by symbiosis » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:56 am

Cheers, already did that and in fact went in for a look at their place and its identical to what I want to do. They got full planning with no issues at all

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1