Confusion with pull light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kdp99
Labourer
Labourer

Confusion with pull light switch

by kdp99 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi

While decorating I am replacing a light and its pull switch above the bed (but not the main wall switch). I was going to do a stright swap but the pull switch has become disconnected so I can't.

The light has the normal black and red in, wired to blue and brown on the light - no problem.

The pull switch (which always opperated OK, but in a slightly odd manner) has three cables, RED, BLUE, ans YELLOW. I've used a 240 AC volt meter and tested which pairs of cables have 240V across them, the results are:

With the main wall switch off there is 240V between Blue and red only,
With the main wall switch on there is 240V between Red and yellow only.

My question is which of the three colours should be wired to which terminals on the new pull switch. (not worried if it opperates as before, or in any other way.)

Many thanks

dtomes2003
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Confusion with pull light switch

by dtomes2003 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi,
The pull switch should have 3 terminal connections.......'COM', L1 or A1 and L2 or A2.

Judging from your description, the red cable (usually called the switch live) should be connected into the 'COM', the blue into L1 or A1 and the yellow into L2 or A2, depending on which type of pullswitch it is. (the yellow could be connected into the L1 and vice versa........). It dosen't usually matter, as long as the switch live (the cable which connects to the light) is identified........

If there is still a problem, look at the wall switch connections and copy that.

Sorry, i couldn't explain it any better.......

Regards,

Darren

[quote="kdp99"]Hi

While decorating I am replacing a light and its pull switch above the bed (but not the main wall switch). I was going to do a stright swap but the pull switch has become disconnected so I can't.

The light has the normal black and red in, wired to blue and brown on the light - no problem.

The pull switch (which always opperated OK, but in a slightly odd manner) has three cables, RED, BLUE, ans YELLOW. I've used a 240 AC volt meter and tested which pairs of cables have 240V across them, the results are:

With the main wall switch off there is 240V between Blue and red only,
With the main wall switch on there is 240V between Red and yellow only.

My question is which of the three colours should be wired to which terminals on the new pull switch. (not worried if it opperates as before, or in any other way.)

Many thanks[/quote]

kdp99
Labourer
Labourer

by kdp99 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:57 pm

Many thanks, works fine as you suggest.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:41 am