Connecting a pull cord extraction fan to a wall light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Edewakefield
Apprentice
Apprentice

Connecting a pull cord extraction fan to a wall light switch

Post by Edewakefield » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Hello folks..
Electrical section newbie here.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on connecting a extraction fan to a light switch?

Ideally, I would like to connect the supply going to the extraction fan to the light switch on the wall outside the bathroom. Hopefully, this would enable both the light and the extraction fan inside the bathroom to come on at the same time.

The bathroom extraction fan is a simple pull cord type and has just two wires live and neutral.
The double pole fused 3 amp light switch also has two wires.red(live) and black/witha red sleeve(switchwire) plus the earth.

I tried to connecting the extraction fan's red wire to the red on the back the lightswitch. While also, connecting the neutral from the extraction fan to the switchwire on the back of the light switch but not a thing works then!.
I assume that the neutral from the extraction fan needs a neutral to complete the circuit as when the extraction fan neutral was connected to a nearby neutral via a ring man plug socket, both the fan and the bathroom light operated on and off as required.
By the way, I have changed the bog standard light swich to a double poled fused 3 amp light switch..

Can anyone throw any light on my situation or is what I have done perfectly acceptable.?

Many thanks for any replies here in advance

Ede

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:30 am

You can't connect to switch as there is no neutral there you need to connect to ceiling rose.
Eric

Edewakefield
Apprentice
Apprentice

connect a fused switch to the ring main to run an fan?

Post by Edewakefield » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Many thanks for the reply ericmark..

As I cant get into the roof to connect the switch to the ceiling rose, I was wondering how else I could runa fan

As I have a ring main running the shaving socket in the bathroom. Wouldn't it be feasible to take a live and neautral supply to feed a fused double pole switch outside the bathroom to run the extraction fan?

Many thanks for a reply in advance..

jg

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:18 am

Using a fused spur unit or an RCD fused spur unit if not already RCD protected from power circuit would seem best way forward.
PS you do realize this is notifiable under Part P?
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:12 am