Connecting a room thermostat
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pembo
Labourer
Labourer

Connecting a room thermostat

by Pembo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:40 pm

My current system does not have a room thermostat, and relies totally on radiator thermostats. I believe this may be wasteful as, even if all rad stats shut the respective radiators off, the hot water is still circulating around the system with associated losses. So I want to fit a room thermostat in our lounge. Is it as simple as buying the thermostat and connecting it to a suitable set of terminals in the central heating controller?
If so, my existing controller does not have any terminals for a thermostat, only terminals for the hot water and the heating. I presume there are simply dry contcts to the respective pumps, or something of the kind.
In order to connect a thermostat, do I simply need to get a new controller that has terminals for connecting a thermostat? Or is thermostat connection not as simple as that?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Generally, you can simply fit a standard room thermostat to any type of heating system. Exactly how this is connected depends on what type of system you have.

To save the hassle and mess of installing wires to the new stat, you may wish to spend a little more money and choose a wire free model. Either way, you will soon re-coup the cost and be saving money.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:16 pm

As Plumbob says, to add a room stat is reletively easy, as you say you have a dual programmer for heating and hot water.
It requires a 3core and earth cable between programmer and stat. position, or to local receiver near programmer if using wire free radio stat.
whichever area you fit stat the existing TRV must be removed from rads in the area. It is usual to do this in a hallway rather than lounge.
Basically the out going wire from programmer is interupted by stat contacts, it's easy when you know how!!!
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1