Connecting aqua lisa cable to processor box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suedeblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

Connecting aqua lisa cable to processor box

by suedeblue » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:46 am

Can anyone advise me if i can connect an aqua lisa processor box (3amp) for a shower to an existing fused spur that is connected to the ch/hw programmer.
If not can i spur off it to a single socket and connect the processor cable via a 3amp plug.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:52 pm

suedeblue,
No to connecting into the existing fused spur. Yes to fitting a spur off an existing socket provided it is on the ring main or part of a radial circuit. Suggest you use a combined RCD/fused spur if there is not an RCD in the circuit already.
end

suedeblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

by suedeblue » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks Stoneyboy. I'll run it from the nearest socket.
All the circuits are rcd protected so I guess a simple 2 pole 3 Amp fused spur.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:44 pm

[quote]Thanks Stoneyboy. I'll run it from the nearest socket. [/quote]

ONLY if, as stoneyboy says, the socket is part of the ring main/radial (ie is not in itself a spur) AND is not already spurring something else. make sure of this first. the reason that you cannot spur from your HW/CH programmer is because it's already a spur and you cannot spur from a spur.

also, yes a 2 pole fused spur with 3 amp fuse will be fine if circuit is RCD protected. I actually fitted this exact same shower unit myself in my home last year. as the unit requires less than an amp i spurred off the upstairs lighting circuit via RCD FCU rather than the ring main.

suedeblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

by suedeblue » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks chris_on_tour2002.
So I can run this off the lighting circuit to a fused 3Amp switch. All circuits are rcd protected in the house.
How has the aqua lisa shower been since you fitted it. Any problems?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:13 am

i am not necessarily suggesting that running the shower off 5 amp lighting circuit is best practice and might even be a reg that does not permit it if you were to look hard enough. i'm just saying that's how i did it for practical reasons.

but then if ALL circuits in your house, including lighting circuits, are RCD protected then i can't see why it would be a problem. if in any doubt there would be no harm using an RCD fused spur.

only thing is if someone were to work on it they would not expect it to be spurred from the lighting loop. though the 1.5mm cable ought to be a clue and a competent person should ensure the power is isolated anyway.

the shower works fine (mostly) and mostly pleased with it. we paid the extra to get the push button operator that sits outside the cubicle so you can turn it on without getting cold and wet! well worth the extra 50 quid a great little gizmo. you can even pay an extra £100 and get a remote control so you can turn it on and set the temp from your bed before you get up! a touch exuberant for my liking.

occasionally the shower struggles, by that i mean it reduces to a trickle when trying to get to temperature. usually a switch off and on again remedies it, though occasionally i have to turn the box off to reset it to get it working again (which i do from the CU as it's easier than going up into the loft! another advantage of having it on the lighting loop is that no sockets are interrupted).

i put this minor issue down to the fact that i'm running if off a combi so i don't get fantastic pressure but it's ok. and it also means that the boost button doesn't do much - a bit of extra pressure but it's no power shower. keep meaning to contact the supplier about it to see if they can advise but frankly i can't be bothered. really just a sporadic inconvenience. overall very pleased with it.

i'd say these showers work best off a pump, but then so do most.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:44 am