connecting ceiling rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
goyathley
Apprentice
Apprentice

connecting ceiling rose

by goyathley » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi, i'm trying to connect a ceiling rose to mass of cables,there 4 sets of cables hanging from ceiling,each have brown,blue,yellow/green cables except one have double brown,yellow/green cables,there are also one single blue and brown cable,could you please give some advice to connect all these cables in right order,thanks.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:33 am

Did you have a ceiling rose conected there before?

Did you note which wires went where when you took it down?

How about a pic?

Sparx will give you the definite answer but it sounds like a standard power cable in to rose, power cable out to the next one installation. I suspect the brown/blue one is the flex line for the light and the double brown actually isn't. Its a brown / blue (yellow green) one with the blue sleeved with a brown outer to show that it's live because it's the switch line.

Now it actually sounds as though you haven't disconnected the old rose yet. If not take note where each goes and do the same with the replacement.

If you have disconnected it all look in another one to see how that's wired.

Turn the power off first.

Alternatively get someone in to do it for you. Should take no more than ten minutes - discounting the tea you will obviously provide.

Cheers

DV
Labourer
Labourer

by DV » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi,

But even if you have noted which wire was connected where on the previous ceiling rose, there are 9 wires there and only 4 connections on the new light, which ones do you connect?

DV

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Look in the light and switches project. Theres a pic in there.

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Hi DV I think I answered this one already on diff. heading but if not then:
All grn/yel earths go together to fittings earth term, or if fitting is dbl insulated to a spare term block.
the cable with the double brown cores is your switch line to light fittings Live term. [it doesn't matter which core you use].
the blues all go together to the lights Blue[Neutral] term. the remaining brns go together in the spare term.
there is a drawing of this on Doc's forum 'projects-connecting a light'.
briefly if there are 3 tw/E cables one brn/blu will be supply L+N in, one brn/blu will be L+N out to next light & Brn/brn will be Live to sw, & sw Live back to light, so the 3 brns just loop to each other but don't go to the light. hope that helps a bit, regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:36 am