Connecting Coaxial Cable to HDMI Cable for TV
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
westonalan
Labourer
Labourer

Connecting Coaxial Cable to HDMI Cable for TV

by westonalan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:49 am

I am looking for some advice on how to connect a coaxil cable to a HDMI cable for my TV, the attached drawing shows what i am trying to do.
Do i need a basic adaptor, or a special converter?

I am removing an old sky digibox that is no longer required.

Anyones advice would be very much appreciated..

Thanks
Alan
Attachments
capture1.jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Connecting Coaxial Cable to HDMI Cable for TV

by ericmark » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:42 pm

You would need a receiver which would then connect to HDMI. The problem is it will only receive one channel, there needs to be a method to tell the receiver to change channel, you could use coax but then you could use same coax to get signal direct to TV.

Why not connect direct to TV?

I bought a box from Maplin which received both satellite and terrestrial TV as HD but it cost nearly as much as the TV and the electronic program guide was useless.

What makes a TV a TV rather than a monitor is the tuner, and tuners connect to aerials or dishes using coax. Using a HDMI lead you only need a monitor.

westonalan
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Connecting Coaxial Cable to HDMI Cable for TV

by westonalan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:01 am

Thanks Eric, your advice is very much appreciated, we are considering putting in a Freesat or Freeview Box, but not sure which.
Seems crazy putting in a Freeview box when freeview is already built in with TV..

Thanks again
Alan

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:07 am