DIY Doctor

Connecting New MDPE mains to Suppliers Lead Pipe ??

Postby chopperver1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Laying a new mains from property boundary to my 30's house as part of an extension.

Existing pipe is lead. I want to connect my new plastic pipe to the lead one (ie the suppliers) at the boundary point

I can't seem to find any adaptors that go from plastic to lead. Local Plumbers Merchant were completely useless.

Is there such a thing ??

((Thames Water board want nearly £1000 !!! :shock: to replace a 0.5m length of lead between boundary and road mains. Robbery. I can think of better things to use the money on right now))
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:54 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparty » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:29 pm

I believe there is a plastic connector for exactly this job. Try Screwfix, I'm pretty sure I've seen one in their catalogue. You'll have to measure the size of the lead pipe to make sure you get the correct connector. Plumbers merchants should've been able to tell you all this!!. I find some of them very ignorant and unhelpful!!
Hope this helps
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:47 pm

Postby darond » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Just done exactly the same on mine. The only way we could find to do it was a lead lock joint (should be able to get from plumbers merchants) to a short run of 22mm copper and then plastic joint onto MDPE.

Hope that helps.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:01 pm

Postby aquamech » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:04 pm

There is an adaptor available 1/2 NB lead to 25mm MDPE. I would only recommed it as a temorary fix. Why not do the job correctly and have the new plastic pipe connected direct to the service main. You will need a plumber approved by your water supplier to do this. It should not cost to much if you do the prep work. I suspect you want to do the conversion on your property to save this hassle and maybe dig up the pavement to get to the service stop vavle. The water supplier will have specific regulations about the connection at each end and depth of new pipe on you property.

If you do it your self the water supplier will require and inspection by his engineer before you backfil any trench or turn on the supply. The Water Authorities approved plumber can do the connection without another inspection.

I have just had mine replaced aftera ruptured lead pipe .
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:30 pm

Postby jack_of_all » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:47 pm

Yorkshire Water change lead pipe for free presumably because they owe a duty of care to people using their sevices, Thames Water by not changing toxic lead pipes are in my opinion breaking the law. Try either the OFFICE OF WATER SERVICES or Citizens Advice Bureau.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics