Connecting Shower Waste to Sewer
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mervinsx
Labourer
Labourer

Connecting Shower Waste to Sewer

Post by mervinsx » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm looking for some advise. I recently purchased a house (11 yrs old) and found that the shower tray in the ensuite does not drain very well, although it's build up to a good level. I've cleaned out the traps, rinsed drain pipe with all sorts of drain blockers, still no luck. Breaking into it all, I've now found that the drain from the shower runs about 4-5 meters (with 4 bends) before connecting into the main soil pipe and also, it does not have any fall (slope) in it. The soil pipe is internal to the property and not visible from outside.

Have now decided to put a new ensuite in and I have been through various options with several plumbers, friends, etc and the way-forward looks like installing a new shower tray on the floorboard, with the waste running underneath the floor board and then exiting the property through the exterior brickwork. Once outside, this waste will need to be connected to a sewer manhole about 0.75 m from the exterior wall. The sewer manhole and the internals are all PVC. Yes, I've thought about air-venting, timber supports under floor-boards, etc.

My question is very specific - how do I go about connecting the shower waste (2" pipe) into the sewer manhole? Is this allowed, will I need planning permissions? What are other options?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

mervinsx,
Suggest you fit a back inlet gulley next to the house wall and feed this in 110mm pipe into the inspection chamber (hopefully there will be a spare tapping). The shower pipe can then be fed directly into the gulley.
end

mervinsx
Labourer
Labourer

thanks

Post by mervinsx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 am

Stoneyboy,

Thanks for your reply - I was thinking off the same too - i.e. to install a gulley and then dropping the shower waste directly into it. My question now moves into the section between the gulley and the inspection chamber.

I see the inspection chamber has three inlets and one exit - all are being used with one inlet coming from my house toilets and the other two from my neighbours property. The exit goes directly to the main sewers in the road.

My questions are:

Do I need to connect the exit from the gulley into the one of the pipes going into the inspection chamber or can I just discharge it into the inspection chamber?

Do I need planning permissions or anything of that sort for escavating to that depths, connecting into the inspection chambers, etc?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:16 pm

mervinsx,
If the IC is deep enough you may be able to fit a additional inlet pipe - it is difficult to advise without seeing the on-site arrangement.
Your local B Regs dept would probably like to be involved and take your money so discuss your proposal with them.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 pm