Conservatory base problems
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
plambert
Labourer
Labourer

by plambert » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:02 pm

Have recently had a conservatory installed and am a little concerned with the order in which it has been laid. Walls were plasterboared & plastered before base was laid. Then a concrete base was laid followed by a dpm and then a screed. The dpm has just been left lapping slightly above the screed finish. What concerns me is that the plasterboard & plaster are obviously not sitting on top of the dpm, which will surely lead to damp issues. Builder has assured me that this is correct method but I am not convinced. Could somebody advise?

pedro
Apprentice
Apprentice

conservatory base problems

by pedro » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am

Hi
I think you are right to question the order of work for your conservatory. What you are saying seems contrary to the normal progression of works. There should be a schedule of works made up prior to any work starting which dictates the order of the build. All the structural work and base work should be completed first (first fix) followed by joinery and other trades (second fix). i would ask your builder/architect for a copy of the schedule of works, you should have a full copy of all this and a copy of the local authority approved drawings if the project is subject to a building warrant and even if not I would still be looking for a copy of the drawings to check that the builder is conforming to all requirements. I am in the process of having a new builder take over my conservatory construction as I type because I stopped the first builder from going any further as he was just doing want he wanted with complete disregard to the building regulations and the project drawings.
Good Luck
Pedro.

plambert
Labourer
Labourer

by plambert » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:39 pm

Thanks for your reply - I do have a copy of the drawings but no schedule of work. I'm no builder but I'd have thought that common sense dictates plasterboard/plasterwork should be started above dpm. Other than this issue I have no other problems at all with the conservatory, which I'd have to say is looking good. Fortunately I still have the final payment in hand so I will try and get an independent surveyor to have a quick look before I release funds! Thanks again & good luck with your own project.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:51 pm