Conservatory Extension Change into Full Extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AmenBreak
Labourer
Labourer

Conservatory Extension Change into Full Extension

by AmenBreak » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:22 am

Hi,

I'm new to posting on this forum but often read for guidance. I've not found a similar subject so hoping someone can provide some guidance!

My partner and myself are buying a new property which has a conservatory and shower room extension on the back (3.5m x 4m for conservatory and 1.5m x 4m for shower room). I've searched the LA planning portal which shows planning permission was granted for a "conservatory extension" in the 90's but unfortunately there are no drawings I can download and the current owner (not the owner at the time) also doesn't have drawings. There are no structural concerns, the conservatory has power, it has a knee height wall all the way around (except the shower room), the conservatory roof is pitched up to the join the original side of the house and the shower room is on the shared wall with the neighbour (it's a semi detached).

My hope is to do some work to convert this whole area to a 'proper' extension. So I won't change the size but open out with the dining room with a steel joist, build up with brick, insulate, heat, roof with with sky light, bi-fold doors and potentially move the shower room.

I know I'll need structural engineers, architects, professional builders etc. But would you think I would need to gain a different set of planning permissions to change to a 'full extension'?

And do you think I'll need to do an explanatory dig to see how deep the foundations are to ensure they are suitable and satisfy building control?

I'm trying to set my partner's expectations before we start going mad with ideas...

To note, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we kept as is, the conservatory is in good nick.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Conservatory Extension Change into Full Extension

by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Hi amenbreak
You will have to ask your local planning authority whether you need permission which means you will need drawings showing what you propose. If you go ahead you will definitely need to prove the depth and size of the existing foundations.
Regards S

AmenBreak
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Conservatory Extension Change into Full Extension

by AmenBreak » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks. Thought that would be the case!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1