consumer mcb
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cel255
Labourer
Labourer

consumer mcb

by cel255 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:54 pm

is it possible to ruin a consumer unit mcb by wireing a light switch wrong
I fitted a new light switch before doing so I switched the lighting mcb to the off position switched and the light worked I then connected a second light to the switch and the mcb would not switch to the on position even with the consumer unit off I have since then disconnected the light switch but the mcb will not go to the on position I have been told that wireing the light wrong could damage the mce but I thought that they would be more robust than that any info would be great my consumer unit is hager 8 way unit

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi it is quite possible the mcb has died, try disconnecting the outgoing wire from it & try turning it on, if it won't stay up then it is 'stuffed' (technical term for broken!!)
Bearing in mind the internal complexity of an mcb for the low retail cost there is a limit to the abuse they will take, when replaced drill out rivits and have a look inside you will be amazed, bi-metal strips, magnetic coils, arc splitters, linkages, it's a wonder they work at all,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:03 am