Consumer Unit Removal When Renovating Flat
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peteinnit
Labourer
Labourer

Consumer Unit Removal When Renovating Flat

Post by peteinnit » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:28 am

Hi all,
I'm currently renovating my flat and have removed most of the old lathe and plaster walls and ceilings but I have one small patch left which the consumer unit sits on. There is an isolator switch on the main supply box in the basement, so is it considered OK for me to take the box off the wall and just refix it to the new plasterboard wall? I know consumer units are generally considered a no go area, but I am not touching the wiring, just want get new board behind it. Or should I still get an electrician out to remove and refix?

Cheers,
Peter

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Consumer Unit Removal When Renovating Flat

Post by collectors » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:26 am

If you have lathe & plaster walls the house will be old & i would of assumed been rewired at sometime. Might be worth finding out as it could be an opportunity to check the electrics & upgrade the board, A new board is less than £100 plus fitting.

peteinnit
Labourer
Labourer

Post by peteinnit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:26 pm

The electrics have previously been updated and the consumer unit is newish, just want to know if it acceptable for me to unscrew it from the wall complete, with the mains supply isolated and to refix it to new wall, or would this still be considered electrician only work, to undo a few screws. Thanks.

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

Post by KitchenGuy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi Pete. That's fine to do. Make sure you either take it off with the mounting board or put it back on the mounting board if it has one and if not get a new one. The board should be mounted with waterproof spacers between the board and the wall in case water runs down the wall or the wall gets damp.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:09 am

Definitely an electricians job. You really want the power off totally for this type of work as there is to much that can go wrong.

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

Post by KitchenGuy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 pm

An electrician just for a temporary removal of a consumer unit ? Ideally yes but a bit like calling in a doctor to put a bandage on when a nurse will do. Just takes a bit of common sense not to over stress the wiring. It's surely not beyond the skills of another tradesman on site or a competent person. .

peteinnit
Labourer
Labourer

Post by peteinnit » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 am

As it happens UKPN are coming next week to fit a new incoming 'box' in the basement for the supply to the whole house (split into 6 flats), so supply will be properly disconnected for the day. Perfect opportunity. Thanks for replies.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm

[quote="KitchenGuy"]An electrician just for a temporary removal of a consumer unit ? Ideally yes but a bit like calling in a doctor to put a bandage on when a nurse will do. Just takes a bit of common sense not to over stress the wiring. It's surely not beyond the skills of another tradesman on site or a competent person. .[/quote]

More fool you. Could you tell us what precautions you would take to do a job like this safely with live wiring. You don't even know if its a single phase or 3 phase board your dealing with. Many places including domestic have 1 -2 & 3 phase to deal with & could be working with 415v & not just 240v. Even though it is unlikely, is why you call in a professional for this sort of work. Many of the larger domestic places we have worked in where 3 phase.
Don't mess around with electric unless its your trade, you will get hurt..

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:38 pm