DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Consumer Unit supply

Postby tezza » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Just moved in to 1970's house which looks like it has two supply's into the original multi-incomer Consumer Unit. One of the feeds only has a 5A MCB with a faded label that seems to say 'Heater Control' although the feed to the central heating is through a 50A on the other supply. I think that sometime there has been Off Peak heating to the house and the heater control may no longer exists. Can this supply be switched off and removed when the Consumer Unit is replaced by an expert . There are two isolator switches outside (70A and 60A) for the two supply's.


Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi Tezza, Have come across this b4, it was an old wylex board which had an extra deep back board inside which were some contactor/relays controlling the 50A supply to nitestor heaters, the 5A fuse was to protect control circuit ie contactor coil, time clock etc.
So if not inuse now then should be fairly easy to disconnect,regards
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics