DIY Doctor

Consumer Unit

Postby rafs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 pm

I want to upgrade my consumer unit from fuses to MCBs, also the RCCD is not operating correctly, but I have sourced a replacement.

Do I need an electrician to do the work or can I carry out the upgrade myself. I am technically competent but I need to know from a legal point of view.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm


Simply Build It

Postby BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:49 pm

you can inform local authority building control if you want to fit consumer unit yourself. you would need test gear to ensure wat u connected back up was in wiv current regulations , and test results complied wiv BS7671 , TEST AND INSPECTION section.
my one question would b y the RCD was not working
and have u tested it as laid down in bs7671

Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics