consumer units/fuse box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

consumer units/fuse box

by greengrass » Tue May 08, 2007 9:06 am

Is there a replacement bayonet [single blade top and bottom] with MCB to replace the wired fuses I have in my consumer unit? I've been told by a friend who is a Electrical testing sparx for Industry testing places like Oil refineries, says their is. I can't find any on the net and the local elec shops don't have anything like it. Is he pulling my leg or is there such a replacement?

I cannot afford to have the whole consumer unit changed as they want an arm, leg and an open cheque [Part P comes to mind]. One even said 'Think about equity release to pay for a full re-wire and replacement consumer unit' I told him in no polite terms where to place his electrical tools as my friend had tested the wiring and it's fine.

Why I get concerned.
How about this for a so called bona-fida electrician. I replaced the outside light on my bungalow as I wasn't happy by the lack of earth and it was fed by ordinary twin flex.
I dissed the fuse and pulled the cable further out of the wall to find the flex twisted to the twin and earth and taped up, talk about hazard. I put the new light in with the twin and earth direct into the light fitting, it's now earthed lighting.[/u]

les58
Labourer
Labourer

consumer units

by les58 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:12 pm

i recently replaced the wired fuses in the consumer unit at a property i own with plug in mcb's made by wylex. the cu is also wylex and i'm not sure if the wylex plug in mcb's will fit other makes of cu. i bought them from tlc for £6.80 + vat each. they come at 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 and 45 amps. just google tlc to find their on line catalog and location of local branches. hope this solves your problem.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: consumer units

by greengrass » Tue May 08, 2007 3:01 pm

[quote="les58"]i recently replaced the wired fuses in the consumer unit at a property i own with plug in mcb's made by wylex. the cu is also wylex and i'm not sure if the wylex plug in mcb's will fit other makes of cu. i bought them from tlc for £6.80 + vat each. they come at 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 and 45 amps. just google tlc to find their on line catalog and location of local branches. hope this solves your problem.[/quote]

Thanks very much have just checked the name on the fuse box above on/off switch and it is a Wylex one so have found out Screwfix do them £7+ each so will be totting up cost of changing 8 then placing an order.
Again thanks it's saved me a lot of money getting an electrician to do the job at a fair price they keep sucking in through their teeth and say 'Well there's the Part P regs to considered and a certificate at the end of the job...suck....suck.. weee'll about £150 should cover it'. Another 'Your wiring needs replacing can't do it less than £2000. theiving b...ds nothing wrong with the wiring my mate checked it.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: consumer units/fuse box

by greengrass » Tue May 08, 2007 3:51 pm

[quote="greengrass"]Is there a replacement bayonet [single blade top and bottom] with MCB to replace the wired fuses I have in my consumer unit? I've been told by a friend who is a Electrical testing sparx for Industry testing places like Oil refineries, says their is. I can't find any on the net and the local elec shops don't have anything like it. Is he pulling my leg or is there such a replacement?

I cannot afford to have the whole consumer unit changed as they want an arm, leg and an open cheque [Part P comes to mind]. One even said 'Think about equity release to pay for a full re-wire and replacement consumer unit' I told him in no polite terms where to place his electrical tools as my friend had tested the wiring and it's fine.

Why I get concerned.
How about this for a so called bona-fida electrician. I replaced the outside light on my bungalow as I wasn't happy by the lack of earth and it was fed by ordinary twin flex.
I dissed the fuse and pulled the cable further out of the wall to find the flex twisted to the twin and earth and taped up, talk about hazard. I put the new light in with the twin and earth direct into the light fitting, it's now earthed lighting.[/u][/quote]

Hi again les58 guess you've noticed my reply of thanks is in your answer. I't me age I'll keep taking the pills

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:40 am