DIY Doctor

Conversion to combi

Postby Neilone » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:25 am

I am a householder not a plumber.

I need to replace my boiler (condensing), and thinking of a combi if possible. Currently the hot water system is open vented with tank in the converted loft on 2nd floor and the central heating is pressurised, with the hot water tank and pump and expansion vessel on the ground floor next to the boiler.

The hot water and heating pipes already run from the hot water tank which is next to the boiler so it be easy to connect up this. However the cold water to the upper floors (one bath, two showers, two sinks) runs from the cold water tank in the loft. Would these need new pipes from the mains ? As a mains pipe already runs up to the cold water tank , is it just a matter of connecting this mains pipe in the loft to the cold supply pipes in the loft ?

I will be getting some quotes from heating companies but just want to know the right questions to ask. I expect there will be differeing views on whether my house is not small enough for a comi.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:59 am


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Ask how many flushes they will carry out, and the brand of inhibitor they'll use.

Not alot more you can ask if you don't know much about heating systems.

htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics