Convert Mains Light to a 3 Pin Plug
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonrob

Convert Mains Light to a 3 Pin Plug

by simonrob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:47 pm

I'd like to put a couple of wall lights outside my garage but I don't want to wire this into the mains electricity as I want to connect them to a plug so I can control it with IFTTT.

Can I simply buy twin core and earth wire, fit a plug at one end and connect to the light fixture?

The fixture I'm looking at is this and will be running LED lamps: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Black-D ... ms?ie=UTF8

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Convert Mains Light to a 3 Pin Plug

by Mr White » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Believe it or not, the answer is no.
You should never even attempt to put a plug on a twin and earth cable, since it (The cable) is not designed to be moved, as you will if it has a plug. (Even if you say you will not move it once its plugged in, it can still be moved) You can how ever, install twin and earth 1mm is perfect for the job. (Don't forget earth sleeving) you could then connect the twin and earth to a 3 core flexible cable via a junction box (Junction box secured to the wall) and put a plug top on the other end of the flexible cable and plug that in.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 am

I take it you are using a battery if not connected to mains? So what is the reference to plug for?

As said twin and earth should not be moved, for a plug you want flexible cable.

I have not seen an IFTTT unit working on extra low voltage (12 volt) and I have not seen any GU10 bulbs which are 12 volt, that is normally a G5.3 type of the MR16 system.

If you are considering mains, then there are IFTTT light switches, I have one in my bedroom, however mine needs a hub and router with internet connection to work, which makes it expensive. In my case also a pair of sockets, two TRV's and a energy meter all from same hub, so not too bad.

Although IFTTT works I have stopped using that option, the switch has three timers, three remote controls, and connects to phone, tablet and PC without need for IFTTT never tried the geofencing option.

If when you say plug into light fitting you are looking at a BA22d plug as used in 1950's to power irons, then these are no longer used in the UK because there is no earth connection. Yes you can get from internet but not local shop.

simonrob

by simonrob » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks Mr White, that sounds reasonable and if anything, potentially simpler as I can fix the junction box to the wall and have two lights connected to a single plug (maybe).

Ericmark, my reference to mains was to the main lighting circuit, it will be connected to the mains plug socket but I will use a plug such as TP Link HS110 via my wifi so I can push a command from IFTTT upon sunset to turn the lights on and then off at like 11pm.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:28 am