DIY Doctor

Converting an American lamp to UK use

Postby lewy407 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 pm

Does anyone know if a lamp that currently has cable/fittings for American power supply & bulbs can be converted to one that could be used in the UK. Is it just a case of removing the cable and bulb holder and replace it with UK ones. The bulb fitting is currently a USA B type bulb.......not sure opf the UK equivalent.
Any help appreciated.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:18 am


Simply Build It

Postby 333rocky333 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:09 am

I think you have a screw in E12 lamp, nearest uk has is an E14 which i think is bigger.

The wiring will be wrong colour and should not really be used in u/k
A decent lighting shop should be able to replace the wire and lampholder for you, or supply the parts.

It the holder is double insulated or metal try to ensure new is the same and if metal, that it is earthed ok.
You must also replace existing lamp with a 240 volt lamp.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:03 pm

Postby ericmark » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:13 am

Rocky's answer is spot on if your using domestic. If you are using as 110 volt lamp then any switching will need changing as here we use split phase and US uses phase and neutral. If used domestic i.e. in a house disregard what I am saying here.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics