converting gravity h/w syst to 3 port valve pump syst
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alistair1
Labourer
Labourer

converting gravity h/w syst to 3 port valve pump syst

by alistair1 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Can you tell me if it is essential to move the system fill pipe to a position between the boiler output and the pump. At the moment the fill pipe is connected to the return from the indirect cylinder to the boiler. Is the positioning of the feed just a water temperature issue? It would save me a lot of work if the feed could be left where it is.
Many thanks. cammy777 :roll:

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat May 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Proper system design starts with the positioning of the expansion pipe. This pipe has two uses. Firstly it is fitted to the highest point on the system which will allow air to escape when the system is filled. It also is a safety device to allow steam a safe exit should the boiler thermostat fail.

Now the filler pipe should connect to the system very near (within a few inches) to where the expansion connects. This is done to prevent over pumping. Fitting it in the wrong place is a very common error on vented systems.

Have a look at this. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/309 ... 2ac5_m.jpg
Last edited by plumbbob on Mon May 24, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamish72
Tradesman
Tradesman

by hamish72 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Did mine and left it as was for the old system which of course was wrong but worked perfectly the old system was a back boiler (gas ) but when I went the whole hog and fitted a condensing boiler to the open vent system I had to change the position and fitted a bypass valve

alistair1
Labourer
Labourer

converting gravity h/w syst to 3 port valve syst.

by alistair1 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 pm

plumbbob wrote:Proper system design starts with the positioning of the expansion pipe. This pipe has two uses. Firstly it is fitted to the highest point on the system which will allow air to escape when the system is filled. It also is a safety device to allow steam a safe exit should the boiler thermostat fail.

Now the filler pipe should connect to the system very near (within a few inches) to where the expansion connects. This is done to prevent over pumping. Fitting it in the wrong place is a very common error on vented systems.

Have a look at this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33215007@N03/3096856838/

Many thanks for your reply. I looks like I am going to have to move the feed as well as the expansion pipes to the same position on the boiler o/p pipe then. Oh well!!

alistair1
Labourer
Labourer

converting gravity h/w syst to 3 port valve syst

by alistair1 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:49 pm

hamish72 wrote:Did mine and left it as was for the old system which of course was wrong but worked perfectly the old system was a back boiler (gas ) but when I went the whole hog and fitted a condensing boiler to the open vent system I had to change the position and fitted a bypass valve

Thanks for your input"hamish72" but I think I'll have to bite the bullet and do it the correct way just in case.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1