Converting Loft into Reptile Breeding Area - Flooring Advice
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Twiggy92
Labourer
Labourer

Converting Loft into Reptile Breeding Area - Flooring Advice

by Twiggy92 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:52 pm

I am planning to use my loft for a reptile breeding room I am trying to do the floor as cheep as possible so there's more money for the reptiles.

The joists are 1.5x3inch there is two serporting walls under the middle of the loft I am using 15x15 foot of the loft and as going to sister the 1.5x3 inch joists with 2x3 inch pressure treated one one side of the old joists and then use pallet slats as the floor boards mk y questions is would this work I would be up there everyday for a few hours and the reptile equipment will be as light as possible

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Converting Loft into Reptile Breeding Area - Flooring Advice

by diydoctor6 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:05 am

Reptiles are an area where we have very little experience!

Here's a few ideas:

StoreFloor is an idea for a relatively cheap loft floor. It is designed to allow the addition of extra insulation, an raised the loft floor level to accommodate this:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bo ... ftzone.htm

I have no idea if this is an ideal reptile environment, but it will give you a strong and sturdy floor (with added insulation) relatively cheaply, which you can then put as many creatures as you like on.

Alternatively you could simply buy loft boards but you probably will not be able to get the recommended amount of insulation (270mm).

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Converting Loft into Reptile Breeding Area - Flooring Advice

by michaelbailey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:48 pm

i suppose it all depends on what you mean by reptiles

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am