cooker switch+ double 13amp socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deano
Apprentice
Apprentice

cooker switch+ double 13amp socket

Post by deano » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi there, was just wondering if i could take a spar off the cooker socket and turn the spar into a 13amp socket, if i can wot cable size do i need for the spar from the cooker socket. :D

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:45 am

I need to question mark the I? as although a spur could be taken from a cooker socket and often is to run the oven it would come under Part P.
One could use 1.5mm cable but 2.5mm would be more normal and maximum distance 3 meters. The cooker supply would need to be RCD protected and the cables run as required in BS7671:2008 in regard to insulation within walls etc. and terminated with something which would require a fuse like plug top or fused spur unit. Consideration would be required as to total loading as where a hob is used often the MCB has to be down rated to match the hob so would then be unable to supply an oven as well.
The inspection and tests will need carrying out and this will require £700 worth of test equipment.
This brings me back to first point "I" and because of LABC charges it is often cheaper to get a registered Part P electrician to do the work rather than DIY.
Other than the supply to an oven it would not be normal to use cooker supply for any 13 amp outlet although there are cooker outlets with 13 amp sockets built in.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

Post by TOPSPARK » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:35 pm

If this is a cooker circuit using 6mm squared twin and earth and the cooker point has a socket outlet then under the current wiring regulations no spur at all can be taken from this.If this is on a ring main using 2.5mm squared twin and earth then a spur can be taken in not then refer to the staytement above in my reply
regards
Topspark

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Topspark I have considered the supplying of oven and hob off the same cooker supply for some time and I can see a real problem with protecting the appliance and yet still being able to supply two items and have looked for regulations to support my argument that separate supplies should be used. You seem to be of same opinion in that separate supplies should be used can you point me to any regulation to support this? It seems where stand alone cookers have been changed for split level either the original supply is used for both units or the oven is supplied off the ring main and with often tumble drier, washing machine, dishwasher, kettle etc also using same ring main I don’t like that idea either and although some manufactures state to maximum supply size and so following manufactures instructions requires separate supplies others do not place any such limits and as you I am sure you are aware if one wants to spend money one often has to prove it is required so can you supply BS7671:2008 numbers to support your claims please.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

Post by TOPSPARK » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:46 pm

ericmark I have been looking through my regs book and also my guidance notes books and on Pg 148/149 section D gives information on cooker final circuits in household premises and they refer to Regulations 476-03-04 and 533-01-06 these are the numbers to support my claims in an earlier post on this subject.
regards
Topspark

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:43 pm

Again all re-written 537.4 covers emergency switching and 533-01-06 has been superseded with a host of regulations in the main about RCD discrimination for example 531.2.9
I think you need to up-date your reference books!
536.2 is about the closest to 533-01-06.
Eric

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:24 am