Cooker tripping electric
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mcaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cooker tripping electric

by mcaddy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:19 pm

I have a dual oven/grill combo.

The top oven and grill work fine, however the bottom oven trips the household electric every time I turn it on.

I've removed the bottom oven heating element. Subsequently turning on the bottom oven causes the oven light to illuminate, control panel to operate as expected and the fan to start. From this I suspected the element to have gone to earth.

The element in question is a Electrolux EOU43002 oven 2500W element. It's a genuine part, fitted as replacement the factory fitted one that had gone open circuit back in Nov 2018. Oven is about 11 years old.

Testing with a multi-meter, in continuity mode shows no fault, as there is continuity between the terminals and not between terminal and earth.

I've tested the resistance between the terminals of the element and it's reading 22.5 ohms, resistance between the terminal and the bracket shows a brief reading before going to infinity, however this is only apparent when the multi-meter is at it's most sensitive resistance setting, have read that this might be normal?

I've reached the limit of my diagnostic ability and wonder even with indications above the element might still be faulty?

If not that what might I look at next to further diagnose the issue?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cooker tripping electric

by stoneyboy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi mcaddy,
The element may be failing under mains voltage.
Suggest you replace the element.
Regards S

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:06 pm

An insulation meter uses 500 volt to test, so multi meter is no good as voltage too low.

Elements are normally mineral insulated, which is hygroscopic, so if the seal is damaged at the ends it will draw in moisture from the air, although you may be able to heat up the element and drive the moisture out, it will just do the same again. Trying to show you did not damage the seals on the element end is near impossible, so in real terms all you can do is get a new one.

mcaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mcaddy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:16 pm

Replacement arrived today and having fitted, normal service is resumed.

Had a real good look over the whole element and couldn't see any physical issues. maybe it was the damp thing maybe it was something else. Either way it's all sorted. thanks for your support.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:48 am