Copper water pipe in ground?
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jimamberdog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Copper water pipe in ground?

by jimamberdog » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Whilst digging footings for our extension, we uncovered a copper pipe which ran in the same trench as the electric cable. Is it possible that this is the incoming water supply for the house? The house was built in early 1970's. I need to tap into the water supply as only the extension will now require water as bathroom and kitchen will now be there. I have not heard of rising mains being in copper outside of a building. I know it is not the gas pipe as it is nowhere near the gas meter box and gas was installed later than the original build.
Any advice would be appreciated.

slumlandlord
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Copper water pipe in ground?

by slumlandlord » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:51 am

Hi
In 1985 I replaced a lead water pipe with copper I did put it in a black plastic pipe. The copper pipe that was used is soft so it can bend. You would be better off to replace the water main (In blue 28mm plastic pipe) from the stop cock in the road to a new internal one in the house. If you lay the pipe yourself then get the water Co to reconnect to the new pipe, this is free of charge they my fit a water meter which you do not need to accept if you pay on the old rating system.

DIYRob
Apprentice
Apprentice

by DIYRob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:38 pm

If the pipe buried in the concrete is not sleeved, the concrete will corrode the pipe. Therefore it is best to replace it by running a new water main from the main stop cock in the street to your boundary in poly 25-28mm.

If you put a new stop cock somewhere close to your boundary, the water company will connect to it, but they will need to dig (mole) to your new stop cock. This will be charged for. costs approx £350-£450

good luck

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 pm