Corner bedroom - mould
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
omsure
Labourer
Labourer

Corner bedroom - mould

by omsure » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:03 pm

I have a bedroom with 2 outside 1 walls - 1 north facing, the other east facing. Both walls, especially the east facing one are very cold. We've just put a bed in the corner of this room, and when I went to change the sheets this week I noticed that the walls were soaking wet. When I pulled the bed out there was mould in the corner. We have a new boiler, which means the house is a bit warmer than it had been and is probably exasperating the problem.

I have cleaned the mould off and pulled the bed out from the wall a little. What else can I do to prevent this from happening again? Is there anything that can be done to make the walls "warmer"?

Given the size of the room there isn't anywhere else to put the bed unfortunately.

Stejonesy
Labourer
Labourer

Damp bedroom

by Stejonesy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi... we have exactly the same problem... divan bed against 2 outside walls. It appears condensation has been forming on the walls (between them and the bed) perhaps because of poor air flow due to restricted space. We keep the room heated, but as condensation forms BECAUSE hot air meets a cold surface, keeping the rrom nice and warm will not solve our problems. I have done a bit of research on the web and have decided to bite the bullet and throw away a nearly new double divan bed, with a view to replacing it with one with legs to maximise air flow. In the meantime, I have elected to rip the skirting boards off and knock away and remove the mould infected plaster, treat brickwork underneath with a good anti fungal spray, leave to dry for a couple of weeks and re-plaster and fit new skirtings before installing our new bed! Oh, and I think i'll finish the decor with kitchen and bathroom paint that has anti-fungal properties. If this doesn't work, nothing will. I don't believe it is worth while trying to save the existing plaster, as it may appear to be clear for a while, but in fact be spreading underneath, unseen, which could make the problem a whole lot worse. My only fear is that it still comes back!!! My suggestion to you is that you consider similar action, and not chance just cleaning and spraying the area!! Hope this helps...

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:26 pm