Correct fitting / finishing of a quadrant shower cubical
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gogs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Correct fitting / finishing of a quadrant shower cubical

by gogs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 am

As above, once these are fitted in place is there meant to be a bead of silicone ran along side the inside where the frame meets the tray?

Also in this bathroom when you run the tap, the water runs away and a few seconds later you hear it running in some pipework, is that normal as never heard that in other bathrooms or is it perhaps where the pipes are running.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:29 pm

The inside between screen and tray should never be sealed. Only vertical joints inside and outside can be sealed.

It is possible to hear water running in pipes sometimes but it depends on your set up. If no water is escaping then I would not worry.

gogs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gogs » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 am

[quote="plumbbob"]The inside between screen and tray should never be sealed. Only vertical joints inside and outside can be sealed.

It is possible to hear water running in pipes sometimes but it depends on your set up. If no water is escaping then I would not worry.[/quote]

Thanks for that, it just seems to be getting a bit rusty looking already and it's not very old.

There is some silicone on the posts either end both running vertical and horizontal

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Rust isn't anything I have ever seen on a shower screen. Are you sure it is not mould growing? That can sometimes be brown in colour. Will it clean off?

As for "There is some silicone on the posts either end both running vertical and horizontal" - as I say, all vertical joints inside and out should be sealed, but the tray should only be siliconed from outside. This is simply to prevent water from becoming trapped in the framework of the cubicle. Leaving the gap open allows the water to drain away into the tray.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:55 am