Correct MCB Rating for Stoves STERLING S1100EI Range Cooker
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jockie

Correct MCB Rating for Stoves STERLING S1100EI Range Cooker

Post by Jockie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:27 pm

HI,
I would greatly apricate it if someone could direct me on the correct MCB rating for my new range cooker that will be fitted when I remodel my kitchen. I have checked the fuse box and the cooker circuit has a 45A rated MCB fitted I do not know what size of cable is installed.

I will be replacing my present cooker with a,
Stoves STERLING S1100EI
110cm Electric Induction Range Cooker with A 5 Zone Induction Hob, Conventional Oven & Grill, Multifunction Main Oven, Fanned Second Oven and Dedicated Slow Cook Oven.

In accordance with the Installation Manual the
Total Electrical Power Load kW)15.53kW
and the MCB/Fuse rating (A) 32A.

I will be getting a qualified electrician to install and wire in the cooker. However, I would like a second opinion as to the correct MCB rating as I fear that the 32A rating appears to be in the low end for a Total Electrical Power Load kW)15.53kW.

Any help with this matter will be greatly apricated.

Jockie

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Correct MCB Rating for Stoves STERLING S1100EI Range Cooker

Post by ericmark » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Two things.
1) The MCB must protect the cable, so cable size dictates largest MCB.
2) For fixed appliances the manufacturer can stipulate largest MCB.
In the main 32A is seen as acceptable to supply ovens and hobs, some units can be supplied with 45A if cable is big enough, however often the terminals in the appliance will not take 10 mm or 16 mm cable, so you have to use 6 mm to be able to terminate.

You can use a double cooker connection unit, and the rules say up to 3 meters of cable to supply where current limit is at the end, so using a FCU wired to a double cooker connection unit it could be 2.5 mm however if the appliance is over 13A that's not an option.

So without being there I can not be 100% however I would think a B32 MCB would be fine, although it seems with induction hobs you can use a huge amount of power, I find it is rare to use over 1kW on a heat area, although our hob can go to 2kW other than simply boiling water it is rarely used at that setting.

I think my stand alone cooker has a max draw of around 50 amp, if not more, but it is supplied from 32A supply and it has never tripped.

Jockie

Re: Correct MCB Rating for Stoves STERLING S1100EI Range Cooker

Post by Jockie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks for your reply it is much appreciated.

Jockie

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:13 pm