DIY Doctor

Correct thing to do when existing services are present??

Postby Rusty bullet hole » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:40 am

Hi all,

Hoping some of you can help!

I am in the planning stage of my small partial self build single story front extension. I plan to do as much of the work myself as i can, and have got my plans approved although i have not finalised documents for Building regs yet.

My question relates to existing services that i knoew are present where the extension is going to be sited.

I have all services except waste coming from the street, straight through my front garden and continuing into the meter cupboard and kitchen in the centre and rear of the house respectively. The house has concrete floors.

I have been searching threads for some time on this subject but have come across conflicting/ different suggestions so wonder if there is a definative answer?

Do i need to move the services?
Can i shutter the foundations to allow partial fill where services are, then backfill with shingle and concrete over?
Do i need to encapsulate the services in truncking and foam both ends before any works?
Or do i need to do something different?

Any help would be very welcome!

I am also going to ask building control officer when i submit regs but would like to know a little more about my options before doing so.

Rusty bullet hole
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:27 pm


Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:16 am

There is no reason why any of the existing services should not pass through the foundations providing they are protected by a free passageway formed by lintels or "sleeves" which as well as providing protection for the services, maintain the integrity of the foundations. It is also allowed to run services together through the same opening or sleeve where this is a practical solution.

Water & gas pipes must be contained in a sleeve of minimum diameter of 100mm ( see our project on replacing a lead water main where you can also buy all the fittings for moving the water main )

Drainage pipes, where passing through concrete foundations must comply with the regulations with regard to size ope opening they pass through and there must be a flexible joint at a maximum of 600mm either side of the foundation. Where pipes pass through walls, any spaces must be packed with flexible material to stop the infestation of rats etc.

If you go to our projects section and look at the building regulations project, you can click through and download an online version of approved documant H which deals with drains and drainage including those passing through foundations. When you deal with building regulations ALWAYS check any information you get from anywhere, including us, as regulations are different for different soil types, different pipe depths and the angle which a drain passes through a footing. Follow the link below for more help. ... ations.htm
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics