Cost of Replacing Interior Door for Carpenter
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sagleo
Labourer
Labourer

Cost of Replacing Interior Door for Carpenter

by sagleo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:17 am

My wife and I want to replace bathroom door in house we are buying. Current owner, seller, wanted a "nautical look" and cut a circle in the door to look like a port hole! Looks like a cannon ball was shot through it! We have researched that a white, composite, 4 paneled door that looks like all the doors in the house, will cost about £28-30, how much will it cost for drilling holes for handles and catch, hang the door and match it up to catch already in place in the door frame? Or; will the catch have to be replaced also?
Would appreciate a Carpenter-Joiner advice and suggestions on cost. I am 82 and my wife is 75 not too clever when it comes to using computers or hanging door!

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Cost of Replacing Interior Door for Carpenter

by collectors » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:06 pm

If its a proper carpenter i would look at around £75 depending where you live. Or see if there are any help for the elderly type of organisations in the area. But this sounds a bit more cosmetic than anyone needing help, so maybe the carpenter is the best bet. Just get a quote 1st.

sagleo
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Cost of Replacing Interior Door for Carpenter

by sagleo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank you "collectors", appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you for the info and the suggestion of checking out organisations for elderly people is a good idea...we had not thought of that. The cost gives us a rough idea. The house we are buying is relatively new, owner bought it off plan about year and half ago. A man who likes sailing and he was after a nautical look and aimed to put a port hole in the door! He made quite a large hole, neat enough but it still looked liked a cannon ball had been shot through it. Anyway, he sort of gave up on the idea. He did say he would replace the door before we exchange contracts. Our Solicitor has suggested we prepare a rough guide on the pricing of replacing with a new door and having a professional hang it and insert the hardware - handles and catches. If seller has not replaced just prior to exchange of contracts the condition will be to deduct the cost of purchase from the sale price. A small sum one would think, but a £100 or so means a lot to us, particularly as we are moving house. Once again, thanks, really appreciate your time.
My wife and I are new to this forum or any forum, so this is not only helpful but very interesting to us.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:36 am