Covering floorboards with hardboard
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bradshaw
Labourer
Labourer

Covering floorboards with hardboard

by bradshaw » Wed May 16, 2007 1:45 pm

I am going to get some carpet layed onto some old floorboards and wanted to make sure the surface would be smooth.

I was thinking of screwing some hardboard ontop of the floorboards but wasn't sure about the hardboard warping and making the floor more uneven. Should it be laid with gaps to allow for expansion or should I wet the hardboard first before laying or can you buy hardboard that has already been treated so it won't expand with any moisture?

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed May 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Hardboard, wet or dry, does have a habit of warping and for a good job which will stay good its a better idea to use 6mm ply sheets. Having said that there are some great underlays out there so talk to your local carpet store first.

Tony Newbold
Labourer
Labourer

by Tony Newbold » Wed May 23, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi, I have used 3mmhardboard under carpet in the bathroom for two reasons uneven surfaces and because i was fitting bathroom carpet with a rubberised back that is not very thick. All I done was cut to the shape with out expansion gaps and used a decent adhesive tape to keep all the sections together. this has been down for about 3 years and i haven't seen any warping or movement.

Regards tony :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 pm