Covering lawn and concrete drive with gravel?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hughjayteens
Labourer
Labourer

Covering lawn and concrete drive with gravel?

Post by hughjayteens » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi there,
I need more parking and have a huge back garden, so would like to get rid of my front lawn and ugly concrete drive, and replace it all with a full width gravel driveway with some nice flower beds down the edge.

The garden is roughly 10m long and about 6m wide, with the drive being maybe 2.5m wide. Rather than break the concrete up, is it possible for me to get a mini digger, dig the lawn out to maybe 150mm down, but a base of Type 1 crushed concrete base down and wack it down to be level with the existing concrete driveway, and then put pea gravel over the top of the lot?

We had a slightly dodgy sounding bloke round to give us a quote and he advised sticking the gravel down on the concrete with K170 hot bitumen to stop it moving around, but I wanted a loose gravel finish with the noise etc!!

Will my idea work OK or am I missing something?

Thanks

Hugh

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

Post by stevenc1603 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 am

I think the only problem you will have is that the car wheels will push the gravel around on the top of the concrete if its not deep enough or if its not constrained.

Personally I'd look at removing the concrete drive if possible and then using the same method that you are looking to employ fro the grass area.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am