Cowboy Electricians!!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pvpuk
Labourer
Labourer

Cowboy Electricians!!!

Post by pvpuk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that the following work is not to Reg's
I employed a couple of recommended! JIB Electricians to fit two double power sockets (next to each other) in Bedroom just prior to new Fitted Bedroom being installed, However what they installed was: Two double sockets linked together and connected on a non fused spur (one cable) to the ring main under the floorboards using terminal blocks and loosly wrapped - ill-fitting insulation tape around the block, They chiseled out massive holes displacing a breeze block and causing the back boxes of the double sockets to not fit flush with the plaster of the wall (there is now a gap of 1-2cm between the back boxes and the front plates ) as expected they say there is nothing wrong with that they have done!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi, principal is OK ie fused spur can supply unlimited number of outlets, & could even be wired in 1.5mm2! as total load on spur is limited to 13A by fuse in spur, however method sounds cr*p. They must have issued at least a minor works cert. as well,
regards SPARX

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

Post by kuzz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:23 pm

connector blocks under the floor not OK. spur off a spur not OK. think sparx Miss-read & thought they had fused it down, which would be OK, but still wouldn't excuse the poor workmanship or tape joints under the floor.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:53 am

Hi,
Sounds dodgy!
you can have as many socket out-lets on a fused spur as you wish as Sparx has mentioned as it's protected by 13amp fuse, but only way without one is to extend the ring main or spur off two different outlets for the two new Socket-outlets (one each).
Puzzled why there's a connection block being used and you'd expect the job to be made good around the boxes.
Sounds like the boys from blazing saddles have been around! ring there boss (Mel Brooks)and tell them your not happy.
In the regs it does mentions good workmanship too!
Regards
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Hi agn. well spotted Kuzz, I did indeed read it as unSWITCHED spur not unFUSED.
Agree all round dodgy set up,
regards All ,
SPARX

pvpuk
Labourer
Labourer

Cowboy Electricians -

Post by pvpuk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:03 am

Many Thanks for your replies, this confirms my strong suspicions regarding the quality of their work, I am in the process of sending them a registered letter with Pictures outlining my concerns and asking for my money back (as advised by Trading Standards) If I get no joy then Trading Standards are happy to take this case on or I will take it to the small claims court.

I will update this thread on how I get on :-)

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:49 am