Crack in bedroom ceiling - please help this novice!
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bigolbear
Labourer
Labourer

Crack in bedroom ceiling - please help this novice!

by bigolbear » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:37 am

I have to admit that I am a terrible DIY-er, know very little! So please help if you can - i was in my loft a week or so back, put my foot on what I thought was a joist and it snapped - luckily i pulled back before i damaged anything ( I thought)

I just noticed a crack in the ceiling a couple of inches long, and I'm wondering what the best way is to deal with it - do I need to go to the extent of re-plastering the ceiling ( i have no idea, I told you that lol ) or can I safely get some filler and fill that crack in? Is there anything I need to do within the loft itself to? Hope you guys can help me

KK

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi bigolbear,
the means of repair depends on the sizes of the crack, a lot of cracks when filled appear to open up again due to the filler shrinking. No need to re-plaster.
Best solution is to get nylon scrim,mesh or tape and put this over crack then fill out with filler and sand until smooth, you may need to fill out a couple of times due to shrinkage.
Regards
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am