cracked bath
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MichelleB
Labourer
Labourer

cracked bath

by MichelleB » Wed May 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Would really appreciate some advice on this . . .
We've recently had a new bathroom fitted, selected from local bathroom store and installed by their recommended fitter. Looks lovely, but two weeks after fitting the side of the bath developed a split/crack. Not the panel, but the actual side of the bath, on the outer edge - where we sit sometimes when we're cleaning our teeth!

We have done nothing untoward to it, other than occasionally sit on it, or lean against it when helping children in and out. It's a 5mm acrylic bath (Trojan). It wasn't cheap. Surely this shouldn't have happened?

The shop say they can't understand why it has happened, but imply we must have caused it. The fitter says he can't understand it either, but has offered to repair it. Is this good enough? Or should we be demanding a new bath and a refit? (Which would involve re-tiling etc, and be a very big job.) I'm inclined to accept the repair, but also feel we would be within our rights to demand more.

Any thoughts welcome!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 pm

This is really difficult to answer as there is no definitive solution to your quandary.

Clearly, if the bath was damaged before or during the installation it should be replaced free of charge. The problem of course is in proving when it was broken. Firstly, inspect the break very closely. Look for any signs of tampering to try and disguise the damage which would indicate the installer new it was there.

It is certainly not unknown for installers to stand on the edge of the bath to reach when tiling etc and this can cause the damage - not that I am saying this is what HAS happened of course. Problem is, bath's lips aren't designed to be sat on either so that doesn't help your cause.

Either way, you may argue the case that the bath has not been properly supported by its design or during the install as it is not unreasonable an edge may have to take being stepped or leant on. Unfortunately, it is a sad fact that some bath's are not always made to the highest of standards regardless of the price.

Whilst chips in the acrylic surface can be repaired satisfactorily (if you can accept there may be a blemish caused by colour variation), but in my experience, cracks cannot; mainly because the original strength cannot be regained. This means the split very probably will open again in the future and may even spread.

Frankly, providing your conscience is clear, I would stand your ground and insist you have done nothing wrong.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 pm