Cracked Combined Stone and Wooden Lintel Across Door Opening
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Donstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cracked Combined Stone and Wooden Lintel Across Door Opening

by Donstar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:24 pm

I have a combined stone and wooden lintel across a large door opening. The wooden lintels are twice as long as the stone one crossing two openings passing over a stone built pillar. The wooden lintels are rotten at the end below the cracked stone lintel. The stone lintel has obviously been supported at some point in the past by the addition of a piece of railway track on the underside which has not been well installed. Above the wooden lintels on the inside of building is just rough stone.
I'm open to any suggestions to help solve my dilemma. What I'd like to do is cut the rotten wooden lintels above the stone pillar and remove the span and replace with either concrete lintel or a steel beam lintel.
On the external stone cracked lintel I'd like to keep in place but strengthen and repair if possible, or build a steel frame under lintel and down to the ground.
Thanks for any advice, tips or recommendation of any products on the market.
Attachments
View of good wooden beams crossing over central pillar. This is where I intend on  cutting them.
View of good wooden beams crossing over central pillar. This is where I intend on cutting them.
Internal view of stone wall above wooden lintel.
Internal view of stone wall above wooden lintel.
View of acrow jack supporting rotten ends of wooden lintel and stone lintel. You can see steel railway line inserted at some point for stability.
View of acrow jack supporting rotten ends of wooden lintel and stone lintel. You can see steel railway line inserted at some point for stability.
External view of stone lintel and wall.
External view of stone lintel and wall.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cracked Combined Stone and Wooden Lintel Across Door Opening

by welsh brickie » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:02 pm

you will need to remove the stone and the timber lintols , replacing the timber with concrete lintols. The stone can be put back on top of 10mm steel angle iron, the steel will be hidden by the stone.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 pm